Vallers was organized in 1873 and became a township in 1876. Named by Ole O. Brenna, a Norwegian pioneer settler, Vallers was meant to be known as Valla, from the Norwegian word meaning valley. However, because the name on the petition was either misspelled or illegible, county commissioners named the township Vallers.
Vallers had much more University land in it than other townships. This resulted in fewer land titles being awarded by the government.