Grandview township was first settled in August, 1871 and organized two years later. The township was named for the scenic outlook northeast from the C0teau des Prairies.
In September of 1873, the County Board authorized a name change to Warrington, but this change never actually occurred.
Ghent, the village in Grandview, was platted in June, 1878 near the railway. Though Ghent at first bore the same name as its township, it was renamed in the September of 1881 after the ancient city of Ghent, Belgium. Belgian settlers, led by Bishop Ireland, were among those who settled in this part of the country.