Fairview was first settled in June, 1871 before being organized on April 1, 1873. Because it was granted township status and perfected its organization on the same day as Lyons township, the two are often considered twins.
Fairview was named for its beauty. It was once described by Case as “a beautiful prairie township, which, especially in the early summer, spreads out like a landscape of loveliness nowhere else equaled but on the green, rolling prairies, and under the clear atmosphere of Minnesota.
Near the railway lies Green Valley, a village that was platted in May, 1888, and whose name refers to the green prairie along the Redwood River.