Originally known as “Upper Yellow Medicine,” Eidsvold township was first settled in June, 1871 and organized on September 20, 1973.
The township was named by a vote of its Norwegian settlers for a parish in Norway known as “Ejdsvold” that was both the meeting place of the National Assembly in 1814 and the home of the township’s original settlers.
Minneota is a railway village that lies within the township, and was platted in 1881. It’s name comes from the Dakota word meaning “much water.” Professor A. W. Williamson wrote that Minneota was named “by an early settler on account of an abundance of water flowing into his well.”
Further down the railway sits Taunton, which was platted in April of 1886. It was named C. C. Wheeler, an officer of the railway company, after the city of Taunton, Massachusetts.