AMIRET TOWNSHIP

History

Amiret township was first settled in 1868 and organized on March 17, 1874. Though its name was originally Madison, it was change in 1879 to its current name because of its railway village. Amiret was chosen to honor the wife of M. L. Sykes, the vice president of the Chicago and Northwestern railway company, Amiretta Sykes.

The first town site in Lyon County, known as Saratoga, was about three miles southwest of the village of Amiret. While the railway was being built in 1872, a post office was established in the ttownship named Coburg after William Coburn who was a pioneer merchant and the first postmaster. The name Amiret came to supersede all of these other names.